Employment With Manos de Cristo
Manos de Cristo is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering low-income individuals through our Dental Center, educational programs, and basic needs services. We are seeking motivated, compassionate candidates who are interested in being part of our mission and working to improve the lives of our clients.
We value diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Manos de Cristo provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or marital status. Nothing in the job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Current Job Openings
Reports to: Director of Development
Hours: Full-time; some evenings and weekends may be required
Manos de Cristo is celebrating our 35th Anniversary of serving our Central Texas community. We serve over 30,000 people each year who seek assistance with adult education classes, low-cost dental care, food and clothing emergency assistance. The mission of Manos de Cristo is to empower low-income individuals with a loving hand of assistance and without regard to age, gender, race, or religious preference. Manos de Cristo promotes dignity and self-reliance by meeting basic needs with food and clothing, providing essential oral care, and furthering educational development.
The Development Coordinator is a full-time exempt position that contributes to the success of the organization’s strategic fundraising plan. As a member of the Development Team, the development coordinator plays a key role in ensuring the agency meets or exceeds its fundraising goals. The annual salary is $46,500 to $48,000 depending on your experience and qualifications.
Fundraising & Donor Events
- Assist with project planning and implementation of the Annual Manos de Cristo Gala, including but not limited to organizing committees, committee meetings, and minutes; assist with gala logistics, marketing and promotions.
- Ability to work with diverse internal and external constituencies with appropriate interpersonal skills, a cheerful personality, and professional appearance.
- Assist with project planning and implementation of the fall fundraiser Sip. Savor. Support! by providing support to the Development Team and event committee; assist with securing in-kind donations; administering registration process; and logistics.
- Coordinate the Annual Manos de Cristo Tamale Sale (November/December), including but not limited to project planning and tracking; conducting community outreach and marketing to increase funds raised from faith-based organizations, businesses, civic groups, and the general public; providing an accurate and efficient tracking system for tracking orders; and coordinating order pick up or delivery.
- Assist with patient, student and client stories for the Development Team. These stories will assist with fundraising and events.
- Assist with gift processing in the donor database with accuracy and timeliness.
- Assist with maintenance of mailing lists and donor reports.
- Conduct donor research as needed.
- Produce and distribute social media messaging.
- Assist with writing copy for print, web, and social media for projects such as events, donor communications, general agency materials and fact sheets, presentations or other projects as assigned.
- Customer Service oriented-demonstrates the ability to respond with urgency to the needs and requests of others, internally and externally and ensure a high degree of responsiveness to all donors without regard to giving level. Understand the impact of our work on others.
- Maintains constructive relationships and demonstrates respect for everyone contacted.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3+ years nonprofit fundraising experience, or related marketing/sales/communications experience required.
- Fundraising event experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with individual, corporate and faith-based donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation preferred.
- Ability to multi-task, adhere to deadlines, work with minimal supervision, and create accurate, error free work products.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required, preferred experience with writing fundraising copy for appeals, emails, sponsorship materials, and other fundraising pieces (examples requested).
- Microsoft Office Suite computer skills, Raiser’s Edge or other donor software experience, Adobe Creative Suite or similar design suite all strongly preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- All employees are required to comply with policies regarding COVID-19. We encourage employees to get COVID vaccines and boosters as our agency directly serves people seeking emergency dental care.
- Full-time employees receive health insurance, short-term disability and life insurance.*
- Access to a 401(k) retirement plan, 13 paid holidays, and two weeks’ vacation.
- Manos de Cristo also provides a positive, team oriented work environment where you have the opportunity to make a difference in your community every day.
*Benefits and choice of insurance prorated based on the date of hire.
Please send cover letter and resume to Diane Riehs, CFRE firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Manos de Cristo provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or marital status. Nothing in the job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Co-director of Education
Reports to: Executive Director of Manos de Cristo
Location: Manos de Cristo, 4911 Harmon Avenue, Austin, TX 78751
Hours: Full-time, Manos de Cristo holds morning (9:00 - 12:00) and evening (6:00-9:00) classes. Schedule could include hours Monday – Thursday from 8:00 am – 9:00 pm or Friday from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2022
Salary: Based upon experience
Develops collaborative community relationships and provides leadership and supervision to department staff and program volunteers. Maintain best practices in Adult Education by providing high-quality programming in English as a Second Language, Computer Literacy, Citizenship preparation, and Adult Basic Education in Spanish. The Education Program at Manos de Cristo is built on the foundation of a learning community, offering a variety of basic education opportunities for adults to reach self-stated life goals. Everyone who wants to learn is welcome.
- Determines community and family literacy needs and guides the development and implementation of a full range of programs for adults (ESL, basic literacy, digital literacy, Citizenship preparation)
- Foster a learning environment based on respect, openness, and dignity
- Actively manage and attend to classes as necessary; presence generally required for direct administration of either morning or evening classes
- Works in collaboration with the Executive team to establish outcomes and track data demonstrating program effectiveness
- Communicates frequently, honestly and openly with staff and provides clear direction and priorities, timely feedback, performance management, professional development, and conflict resolution; fosters mentoring relationships; promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness
- Monitor performance outcomes for grants, ensure grant goals are met and report outcomes to funders
- Develop and monitor annual Education budget
- Develop new programming or program expansion based on community needs
- Maintain current partnerships and form new partnerships and agreements with community organizations
- Research and update teaching curriculum
- Train and support volunteer and paid instructors (up to 60 per semester)
- Work with Development Department to maintain program promotion and communication plan for media and outreach events
- Organize and direct registration periods
- Attend to the needs of all clients enrolled in the Education Program: respond to calls, answer questions and assist in the educational development
- Refer students to other programs to help them reach educational goals
- Organize and direct End of Semester Celebrations
- Testing – assist with standardized computer-based oral placement and progress test for ESL students at the beginning and end of each semester. Coordinate testing schedule with test administrators
- Represent Manos de Cristo in the community at large and participates in professional organizations as appropriate
- Recruit, schedule, train, and support approximately 150 volunteers per year
- Respond to prospective volunteer inquiries, and manage volunteer application process
- Oversee operations of children’s areas, including hiring and supervision of 4 part-time Children’s Activity Leaders
- May supervise 1 part-time AmeriCorps member
- Represent organization at community meetings and events, and conduct presentations on organization’s services
- Work with students and partners to transition students to other programs and connect students to support services
- Respond to current and prospective students’ inquiries (by phone, by email, by social media, and in person)
- Substitute teach or arrange for substitute teachers as needed
- Manage social media accounts for education program
- Attend conferences and trainings, and stay informed of best practices in the field of adult education
- Other duties as assigned
- Interpersonal/Communication Skills - consistently demonstrates effective oral and written communication at all levels; engages in interactive dialogue (combination of speaking and listening) which fosters positive and cooperative working relationships; demonstrates a respect for differing views; has the confidence of other people; shares information appropriately, timely, with tact and diplomacy; keeps his/her supervisor(s) informed as appropriate
- Development and Continual Learning – displays an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement; seeks and acquires new competencies, work methods, ideas, and information to improve own efficiencies and effectiveness in the role; asks for and utilizes feedback to improve performance; timely completes all assigned training courses
- Leadership – promotes organizational mission and goals and shows the way to achieve them; leads by example and sets standards for professional behavior; sets clear, meaningful, challenging, and attainable group goals and expectations that are aligned with those of the organization
- Staff Management and Coaching – manages staff in ways to improve their ability to succeed on the job; enables staff to grow and succeed through feedback, instruction and encouragement; ensures staff have the skills and resources to get things done; effectively conveys expectations and holds staff accountable; differentiates between high and low performance; rewards and recognizes hard work and results; address performance issues promptly and corrects poor performance
- Intercultural Communication Skills – upholds a standard of culturally sensitive and culturally relevant communication within all areas of the agency. Provides training and guidance to instructors and students as necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- At least three (3) years of proven experience in direct program development and implementation, with at least two (2) years of hands-on leadership experience in a management role, or
- At least 3 (3) years experience teaching adult ESL; preferred TEFL or CELTA certificate or equivalent experience
- Experience working with immigrant populations
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written English/Spanish
- Knowledge of effective adult teaching strategies
- Experience with online databases
- Willingness to work regular evening hours and occasional weekends
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed, in order to accommodate program events
- Ability to multitask, juggle multiple projects and responsibilities, and work with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Effective organizational and planning skills
- Computer proficiency (especially Microsoft Office, Google Drive, social media)
- Comfortable with public speaking
Intake Specialist/ Support Staff
Reports to: Co-directors of Education at Manos de Cristo
Location: Manos de Cristo, 4911 Harmon Avenue, Austin, TX 78751
Hours: Full-time, with some evening hours
Manos de Cristo is a small, non-profit organization offering basic needs services, a dental clinic, and classes for adults. Manos, along with 11 adult literacy and workforce development agencies including Workforce Solutions Capital Area, the Literacy Coalition, and Austin Community College, launched and work collaboratively on a program called called Workforce and Education Readiness Continuum (WERC). The Intake Specialist plays a pivotal role in the initial enrollment for all eligible clients for the WERC collaborative. The Education Program consists of English as a Second Language, Computer Literacy, and Adult Basic Education in Spanish, serving approximately 250 adult students.
- Determines student eligibility to participate in WERC program
- Organizes student eligibility documents by Education program
- Scans and uploads documents
- Enters data from student intake forms into online database
- Attend front line council meetings for WERC program
- Tracks student attendance in database
- Prepares monthly attendance reports
- Enters data from ESL test results at the beginning and end of each semester
- Refers advanced-level students to other community programs after completing ESL, Computer Literacy or Citizenship.
- Enrollment – assisting during registration periods to inform prospective students about class offerings. Closed enrollment period during first two weeks of each semester
- Student Persistence Support – call students who have missed several classes to encourage them to come back. Help establish and track goals for students.
- Program outreach and promotion (establish relationships with local schools and libraries to attend parent/teacher meetings, distribute flyers and information, attend relevant outreach fairs)
- Distribute bus passes and maintain bus pass records and inventory
- Participate in outreach fairs and other Education events to recruit students
- Prior to each semester, create semester calendars for students that include registration dates, beginning and end of semester dates, holidays, and special events
- Experience with databases: entering data, uploading scanned documents, running reports
- Demonstrated proficiency or willingness to learn using personal computers and standard office software, including spreadsheet and word processing
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish
PERSONAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Ability to maintain an established work schedule, including some evenings
- Must be sensitive to student population
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective organizational and planning skills
GED or high school diploma required. Must have reliable transportation to travel to and from Manos de Cristo. Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior.
Interested candidates should email their cover letter and resume to Maria Palacios at email@example.com